Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wk 9 Discussion, Question 3

The concept from chapter 2 that I choose to discuss is Key. Key is the tone or spirit (for example, joking, aggressive, or ecstatic) in which a given activity is undertaken. I thought reading about the key of a persons voice was interesting because there are a great number of different keys that one persons voice can make. After I read this part of the chapter I tried to pay attention to all of the different keys that my voice takes in one day while I speak. I noticed that I made more then I thought I would. I used a different key with every person that I talked to in that one day of observation. I was in different situations with everyone so the way that my voice sounded was different. I also tried to listen to the different keys in the voices of the people that I talked to in that one day. That was interesting as well because they were all different then mine.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about this concept also! I have friends that when they speak in Arabic they sound like they are so angry but they are just talking to their mother about the weather lol or even in my family when we are all together speaking in a different language. I also have noticed that I speak differently through out the day and it is completely sub conscience! I think that being aware of the different tones you make is important because the way you say something is just as important as what you say. I have had moments where i say something but because of my tone it comes out completely different, which is no good for me lol but like I said being aware of the way you speak is always helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Commgirl105:

    Thank you for your post. I appreciate how you took your reading (the “theory) a step further and put it into “practice” by “[trying] to pay attention to all of the different keys that [your] voice takes in one day while I speak.” Aside from our paper and our journals, I haven’t done as much practicing as I’d like to do. Still, I’ve recognized an elevated level of consciousness about communication behavior and patterns from being in our class. You serve as a great model to continue the exploring beyond the course. I mean, aren’t we, as COMM Studies folks under the shared notion that “communication is everywhere”?! LOL

    (: gunnerisfunner

    ReplyDelete