Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wk 10 Discussion, Question 3

Of all the concepts that we covered in class over the past ten weeks, the one that I found to be my favorite was the concept "the medium is the message." The textbook describes this concept as the channel through which a message is transmitted is as important as the message itself and that the channel, in fact, often determines which messages will be transmitted and which will be ignored. I think this is my favorite because it is very true. I took a PR class at SJSU about the media and society. We learned all about the different types of medium and everything that I learned in that class relates to this concept. The marketing teams of companies need to be smart when they choose what medium to select to sell their products. If they choose the wrong one then their problem can fail overnight.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that this may have been my favorite concept as well in this class. I found it to be powerful in that often we concentrate hard on what we say, but rarely do we think about the manner in which it was said. To top it off I hear other students comment on why they where so unhappy in class because of the tone of a teacher, or the attitude of another student. To me this is all set by the medium of the message, and I agree that the medium may be just as important as the message itself.

    ReplyDelete